House flag of Armement Deppe
Left, most commonly reported flag - Image by Jarig Bakker, 7 November 2003, after All about Ships and Shipping, 1934
Right, reported variant, 1934-1949
Armement Deppe was formed in 1863 as Adolph Deppe; it was based in Antwerp and specialized in the route to Central and South America. In 1960, the Compagnie Maritime Belgetook over Armement Deppe. The merging into N.V. CMB S.A. was effective on 1 January 1984.
The Eurosal consortium was built between nine European and South American ship owners: Johnson Line, Armement Deppe, Compania Naviera Marasia (Madrid, Spain), Compania Sud-Americana de Vapores (Valparaiso, Chile), Hapag-Lloyd (Hamburg/Bremen, Germany), Lineas Navieras Bolivianas (La Paz, Bolivia), Nedlloyd (Rotterdam, The Netherlands), Pacific Steam Navigation Company (Liverpool, United Kingdom) and Transportes Navieros Ecuatorianos (Guayaquil, Ecuador). In 1987 Empremar (Valparaiso, Chile) and CNP (Lima, Peru) joined the Eurosal consortium.
The CMB website, however, says that some lines were discontinued due to oil crises and the resulting economic difficulties, during the late seventies/early eighties. Armement Deppe is not mentioned by name, but was probably among the victims.
The house flag of Armement Deppe is shown in Larousse Commercial (1930) as a white flag with a broad blue border (1/5 of flag height); in the middle a red rosette between blue letters A and D. The funnel was yellow.
Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels of the principal steamship lines of the world and the house flags of various lines of sailing vessels, published at Lloyd's Royal Exchange. London. E.C. (1912), also available online thanks to the Mystic Seaport Foundation, shows a similar house flag for Adolf Deppe, also called Compagnie Belge de Transports Maritimes.
This is the original flag which may have been altered between the World Wars. Brown's Flags and Funnels (1929) shows this flag but in the 1934 edition the central flower emblem shows a target of red, yellow and black (inner), the outer edged of the red being serrated. Possibly this is just a variation of the design portrayal and I have not found anyone commenting on a change. Talbot-Booth has used the same design for his books between 1936 and 1949 whilst Brown, in 1951 and 1958 shows it just as a roundel without the outer serrations. Everyone else, before during and after, show the version as shown here.