The flag is made of a white field with the official wheel emblem in the middle. The four parts of the wheel rim are royal blue. The words ROTARY and INTERNATIONAL, in gold, are placed in the upper and lower parts of the rim, respectively. The wheel hub and cotter pin slot are white.
The first official flag of Rotary is said to have been displayed in Kansas City (Missouri) in January 1915. In 1922, admiral Richard Byrd, member of the Winchester Rotary Club, brought a small flag in his expedition to the South Pole. He did the same in 1926 when he went to the North Pole.
Some Rotary Clubs use the official flag as club pennant during their meetings. In such instances, it is allowed to add above the wheel ROTARY CLUB and below it the city, state or country name. The official flag is permanently displayed in the seat of Rotary and during congresses and official events sponsored by Rotary International.
The image shown on this page matches the official description but has a yellow border all around not mentioned above. Unfortunately, the site mentioned above does not show the flag.
Rotary Club was founded by Paul Harris on 23 February 1905, renamed Rotary International Association in 1913, and eventually Rotary International in 1926. Rotary International has today more than 1.2 million members and 31,500 clubs in 160 countries. It seems that the official flag of the organization is white with the
emblem in the middle, whereas the flag used in practice (at least as seen in Denmark and Finland) has a yellow border.
The women's division of Rotary International, known as the Inner Wheel, the under-40s group, known as the Round Table, and the retired Rotarians, known as
Probus, all have their own distinctive emblems and flags, all incorporating some aspect of the Rotary wheel.